As soon as you want to pass something to a macro that is not in a value
format you can use the macrocall widget, even on your own macros

<$macrocall $name="image-card" img=<<ximg imagename.jpg>>  width=""
align:"left" caption="" title="" text="" footer="" pos="top" alt=""/>

But you man not even need to pass the nul values

<$macrocall $name="image-card" img=<<ximg imagename.jpg>>  width=""
align:"left" pos="top"/>

Tony
fellow Aussie
see https://www.meetup.com/sydney-twig-tiddlywiki-interest-group/