Folks,

As you may know I am a regular contributor to the community. I just want to
let you know although I will always support the use of Google Groups, *I am
now only an occasional visitor here.* Without entering into the detailed
evaluations and comparisons these are *my reasons why*;

   - Discourse fixed a number of problems introduced to Google Groups of
   late eg code highlighting.
   - Discourse has all the standard features of most of the advance
   community tools.
   - It can almost resemble a chat if more than one person is on line.
   - I do not use any email features only online.
   - Its easier to keep track of what I have done or when others post and
   reply
   - Its nice to use emoticon reactions rather than a whole (email) reply
   to indicate support, or thank someone.
   - *I can deal with a larger volume of activity in the same time*
   - Private messaging without using email is possible (off line
   discussions)
   - I can support new users to Discourse, as I certainly want us to move,
   so of course I support it.
   - Given the way users have being treated by google eg; destroyed mobile
   view I no longer trust Google Groups in the long term.

There are too many features to name here that I appreciate in Discourse,
but most are reusable skills, because they are available in many other
community solutions, but not in Google Groups, which after all is a
glorified mail list.

I did not choose Discourse, but because it has gained some momentum and is
more than adequate if not very good *"I just want to leave".* I tried to
encourage a move many times, but most communities are like herding cats,
but now in the case of Discourse its more like "herding sheep" and a pile
of us sheeple, have *just run across the road and discovered than side is
much greener* :)

I understand there are community members who feel one or more of the
following;

   - finding the transition difficult,
   - need solutions to help on the new platform
   - are not familiar with these sophisticated solutions
   - don't like changing something that works for them.

I urge you to come over and connect with me @TW_Tones
<https://talk.tiddlywiki.org/u/TW_Tones> I will do all I can to help you
learn how to use discourse and transition (others will help as well).

Tones