Another technique is to use the “split” operator to split the string by the
word:

\define count-words(title,word)
<$text text={{{ [<__title__>get[text]split<__word__>count[]subtract[1]] }}}/>
\end

<<count-words "HelloThere" "the">>

Using the splitregexp operator instead allows would allow splitting case
insensitively, which might be more useful.

Best wishes

Jeremy.