Hi Charlie,

> From https://tiddlywiki.com/#EditTextWidget:
>
> One trap to be aware of is that the edit text widget cannot be used to edit a
> field of the tiddler that contains it. Each keypress results in the tiddler
> being re-rendered, which loses the cursor position within the text field.
>
> I thought that was resolved in TW5.2.0.  Based on current documentation, me
> thinks I likely misunderstood whether or not TW5.2.0 resolved the "trap."

Good catch, we missed that. I’ve updated the docs to reflect the changes in
v5.2.0.

> Regardless, do note: in some circumstances, the trap does not apply. However,
> in other circumstances, the trap does apply.  Although not a problem in
> certain circumstances, I'm thinking best to always avoid use of edit text
> widget to edit a field of a tiddler in which the edit text widget exists.
>
> Please download the attached and drag into TiddlyWiki.com to be aware of the
> trap.
>
> Apologies if I missed any already existing discussion about this.

The second example in your test tiddler looks like this:

<$vars var2={{!!field2}}>

''__Field 2:__''
<$edit-text field="field2" />

Field 2:<$text text={{{[<currentTiddler>get[field2]] }}}/>

</$vars>

The problem here is actually not the `<$edit-text>` widget but the `<$vars>`
widget – it (and all the widgets it contains) gets refreshed each time the
value of field2 changes.

Best wishes

Jeremy.