Thank you Eric.
Works great when followed up by a     <$action-navigate
$to=<<createTiddler-title>>/> since in my case I do want the tiddler to
open immediately.

If you have some time could you explain why using the sequence:

<$action-sendmessage $message="tm-new-tiddler" title=<<journalTitle>>
tags=<<get-tags>> text=<<journalText>> first-time=""/>
<$action-sendmessage $message="tm-save-tiddler" $param=<<journalTitle>> />

fails to create and open the tiddler in "view" mode and instead opens it in
edit mode. I'm obviously misunderstanding something about how these two
action widgets work.

Thanks for taking the time to solve my problem. Looking at the solution I
see I should have played even more before calling for help.

Regards
Sher