I'm picking up this very old discussion. What is the state of the art? It
seems that the proposed solution by Eric Shulman

```
[[filename.pdf]] is a link to a tiddler, but
[[filename.pdf|filename.pdf]] is a link to an external file

And, because the link doesn't start with an /absolute/path/to/
folder/..., it is automatically handled by the browser as *relative to
the current directory* (i.e, the one containing the TW document).
Thus, you can also write something like:
[[old version|archives/filename.jpg]]
to link to a file in a *relative sub-directory*.
```
doesn't work with the current version of TiddlyWiki.

I have exactly the constellation described in this example (see attached
screenshot). The two links using a relative path respectively, point to a
non-existing internal tiddler. The last link with the fullpath point
correctly to the external PDF file.
How can I use relative paths to external files nowadays?

-Reinhard