> Append "serial number" to a custom field so that when I add a
> tiddler, it will be labeled 001, and subsequent tiddlers 002,
> 003....,etc.

You could hijack the saveTiddler method, automatically adding this
custom field (presumably determining the latest ID on startup):
http://trac.tiddlywiki.org/browser/Trunk/core/js/TiddlyWiki.js?rev=12238#L309

That might look something like this:

(function() {

// assumes SERIALID has been initialized

var _saveTiddler = TiddlyWiki.prototype.saveTiddler;
TiddlyWiki.prototype.saveTiddler = function() {
    var tiddler = _saveTiddler.apply(this, arguments);
    if(!tiddler.fields.serialid) {
        SERIALID++;
        tiddler.fields.serialid = SERIALID.toString();
    }
};

})();

(Note that field names must be lower case and values are strings.)

> Better if this field is not user-editable.

There's no access control in regular TiddlyWikis, as it's all happening
client-side.
So unless you're using some server-side, that's not really enforceable -
however, it might be sufficient to not make it easy for users to change
this data.

> 2. Optionally display tiddlers as rows, with a "preview" column that
> displays the first few lines of the content.

Shouldn't be hard to create a macro for this.
In fact, there are probably ForEachTiddler scripts out there that do
very similar things - you might wanna search the group archives.

HTH.

-- F.