I am no programmer, but as far as I understand a higher function is
the one that 'calls' the lower function. The reason for existence of a
higher function is that it might be doing certain things beside the
call, it might be there to provide a consistency in the API
(application programming interface), it might be there for scalability
and future development of the software etc etc.
A getFoo() function might be a part of an API and a user/poweruser/
client-software can rest assured that it will always return object
'foo' when called, even in future versions.
What a getFoo() function does in order to return the Foo object is the
headache of the API developer, so it might be calling fetchFoo(), or
it might be calling digOutFooFromSomewhere(). We need not worry about
it.