My suggestion would be that as part of the implementation of
persistent (Baked) cookies, consideration be given to including the
current file name as part of the cookie ids.  I realize not everyone
uses multiple open TW files at the same time, but the many uses of
cookies in TW currently means that the same cookies are affecting
multiple files.  I may well want my sidebar hidden in one file but
want it open in another.  I often use separate TW files to keep
separate what would otherwise be one large, slow file, at work, for
example, my addressbook, my work diary, my primary collection of
links, and my collections of technology notes. Even the username might
vary between someone's personal files and a team-based TW file.
I'm reasonably sure there would be others with similar needs for
distinct cookies between TW files.

My suggestion on precedence for identically named cookies would be for
the persistent ones to be of lower priority than the session cookies.
This would allow the same values at start as were valid at the
beginning of the previous session (if the persistent cookies in the
tiddlers were not changed and saved during that session) while
allowing them to be changed for the session.