Again, Måns, Bauwe Bijl, thank you both very much for your input which
has led to a solution that I think actually works (or I'm seeing
things, also possible!).

1. Bauwe Bijl was right on the money thinking  this might be a firefox
related issue.
Indeed, it seems to be just that. Amazingly, and this must be a first,
most, if not all, of the examples described above
must have been working fine in IE all along; it turns out you can’t
use @font-face in Firefox with a font hosted on a different domain.

I was fooled by the fact that fonts were loaded ok from both the
external sources
http://fonts.tiddlyspace.com/ (with the standard @font-face syntax
discussed in this post)
and http://code.google.com/webfonts (using a tip described at this
tiddlyweb groups post
http://groups.google.com/group/tiddlyweb/browse_thread/thread/e90ea288e76beb00/e6cf1abad1d6d87f?lnk=gst&q=fonts#e6cf1abad1d6d87f
where I was pointed to by Måns.

Do the above sources use some kind of server side mechanism to by-pass
the @font-face cross domain issue in firefox?
I wouldn't know but it seems that if they do it's indeed a by-pass and
not a generally applicable rule.

see
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/HTTP_access_control
and
http://forums.shopify.com/categories/1/posts/36160
for more info on the @font-face cross domain issue in firefox

(btw: I've deleted the aforementioned examples posted at
http://fontfaceexample1.tiddlyspot.com/ in the hope of putting
together one final example here)

2. The workaround is described in this post

http://geoff.evason.name/2010/05/03/cross-domain-workaround-for-font-face-and-firefox/

This guy talks about a solution that actually embeds the TTF font file
(which, apparently, can't be read by firefox cross-domain) within the
CSS file (which, apparently, can) so it can be served up directly from
an external server and still work on Firefox.

(btw, isn’t there a native tw capabilitie to do just that, embed files
within tiddlers? Any idea where to look?)

3. Using this workaround I've reset the example page at

http://fontfaceexample1.tiddlyspot.com/

using both the @fontf-face method and the linked stylesheet method of
the tiddlyweb thread

Had to do that because, after all that, I couldn't (and still can't)
implement the @font-face example with my mocha theme stylesheet which
looks something like this
http://fontfaceexample1.tiddlyspot.com/#MochaStyleSheet

Ridiculously enough I can’t figure out where to put the
[[StyleSheetFonts]] entry in the stylesheet without the entire thing
going down in smoke and flames.

Please see the examples / how to’s at http://fontfaceexample1.tiddlyspot.com/
and
http://fontfaceexample2.tiddlyspot.com/

This should result to cross browser and, hopefully, cross platform
rendering of the
Trajan Regular font (free / http://www.jabroo.com/index/search?q=trajan)
hosted at http://jd.heliohost.org/Novelty2/webfont/ within  tiddlywiki
documents hosted at tiddlyspot.com

And please confirm, would you? If it turns out I've scratched my head
too deep into my brain and I'm seeing local or cache or whatever fonts
all along, well, Bauwe Bijl said it:  ''grrr....the world of
fonts...''

Cheers, sklpns