Just to add further information on this problem:
In the local version of the tiddlywiki, the Upload button is missing
from the Welcome tiddly and instead I get the following message:
"Error while executing macro <<upload>>: No such macro"
There is no Upload button on the right panel or in backstage.
Thanks for your help