I hope this isn't off-topic but... have you guys thought about just
incorporating a small portable server? There are a whole bunch of these
that have really tiny footprints (like 40KB tiny). Most are written in Java
so they are cross-plateform compatible.  And some are only a single file!

>From what I've read, these were written for/by developers who needed to
take their work on the road and wanted something lightweight that could be
embedded in an app and run off of a USB drive, without a lot of setup.

Here's a couple that I just found by googling:

NanoHTTPD <http://elonen.iki.fi/code/nanohttpd/> (uses a single file)
Mongoose <http://code.google.com/p/mongoose/>
Jetty <http://jetty.codehaus.org/jetty/> (written 100% in Java so
cross-plateform compatible)
Pygmy <http://pygmy-httpd.sourceforge.net/>
Firecat (uses javascript as its primary scripting language)

And here's a whole list of others:
http://java-source.net/open-source/web-servers

Best,
-Adam