On 8/29/13, Jeremy Ruston <jeremy.rus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [..snip..]
> Fast forward to today, and the majority of websites have now adopted fixed
> width
> layouts. The reason is readability: studies have shown that optimum
> readability is at around 50-60 characters per line. Much above or below
> that and readability suffers.

Well, the text width required to display 60 characters per line
depends on the font used.
I tend to use very large fonts (20pt) and with fixed layout I am getting less
than 60 characters. I think the right answer is 'proportional layout' that links
the area size to the font and other visual components of the presentation.

--Leo--