The tabs macro is currently in this PageMacros tiddler, so you're right:
there may be copy/paste to do if a version modify this tiddler, and a
release may even simply delete it. For now, I haven't encountered upgrade
issues with 5.0.5 and 5.0.6. (my overridden PageMacros is imported in the
new empty wiki).
So it is for me a temporary but useful solution as I'm not a JS programmer,
until an official solution for global macros is provided. And I make sure I
compare the tiddlywiki.com PageMacros and mine at each release in order to
verify if any change has been made.