I accidentally replied directly to Marcel rather than posting, so I am
re-submitting my reply below.  Marcel also suggested Seafile
<http://seafile.com/en/home/>as a dropbox alternative, so I will check it
out.

Marcel,

I agree, this is a straight-forward approach.  However, I am still
concerned about the lack of long-term version history, given that Dropbox
only keeps old versions for 30 days.  I guess there is always the
possibility of using the Dropbox Packrat add-in to get unlimited version
retention, although it is a paid option and requires a paid version of
Dropbox.

Regards,

Mal