Hi Matabele,
Your approach is making me optimistic that TW5 can be functional as well as
merely fun for me, so I'm making an effort to give something back - but
please ignore this if it doesn't fit with your ideas!

1. (This is a really minor point).  At the bottom of the tiddler
$:/_leftmenu, in this line:
<<tabs "[!has[draft.of]tag[$:/tags/leftmenu]sort[title]]" "$:/_leftmenu 1"
"$:/state/tab1">>
I think that $:/_leftmenu 1 may be a holdover from a previous version and
should be updated?  (On the other hand, it's very possible I don't
understand the tabs widget.  I didn't think I saw any difference when I
changed this, so maybe it's no big deal).

2. My minor idea: I'm always tweaking tiddlers, which meant that using
"modified" as the basis for sorting contexts, days, and months wasn't
working very well for me.  To affect sort order, I did the following:

a. (this is the tedious part):  In each context, day, and month tiddler, I
added a field (I called it "gtid-order") and inserted the appropriate
values for chronological sorting (01 for Jan, 02 for Feb, etc.).

b. In the following places, I change the sorting filter to
[sort[gtid-order]]:

   - $:/_tagbar
   - the macro definition \define tagPill(tag) in $:/_leftmenu
   - the macro definition \define editTags(type) in $:/_edit-tags

c. Part "b" took care of sorting on the leftmenu, but I still wanted
day/month tags to be displayed chronologically in tiddlers and
transclusions.  For that, I took advantage of your color definition.  In
$:/_display-panel I deleted this line

<$list
filter="[is[current]tags[]sort[title]]"><$link>{{!!title||$:/_showtag}}</$link></$list>

and replaced it with:
<$list
filter="[all[current]tags[]sort[title]]-[field:color[#89C6AF]]"><$link>{{!!title||$:/_showtag}}</$link></$list><$list

filter="[all[current]tags[]has[gtid-order]field:color[#89C6AF]sort[gtd-order]]">

<$link>{{!!title||$:/_showtag}}</$link></$list>

d. To really control sorting order, it's also possible to change
$:/core/ui/ViewTemplate/tags, replacing the shadow contents with:

filter="[all[current]tags[]sort[title]]-[field:color[#89C6AF]]"
template="$:/core/ui/TagTemplate" storyview="pop"/><$list
filter="[all[current]tags[]field:color[#89C6AF]sort[gtid-order]]"
template="$:/core/ui/TagTemplate" storyview="pop"/></div>

Thanks again for this great resource!
cmari