Thank you for your response.

I'm surprised that a task so important is buried so deeply. When evaluating
information managers (and I've looked at dozens) one of the first things I
do is consider how I can get my data in/out in the event that the software
is no longer supported. I can't be the only one looking for this feature.

What is the "empty" save? How is it triggered?

Thanks again,
Mark