Do'h!

It's been years since my first and only course on programming on Java, and
I don't know anything about HTML so I didn't knew that I was defining a
variable (now it seems so obvius). So, maybe this is a silly question, but
when you use the <$set name="" value="">      </$set>  your are just
defining a variable? Is this variable available to all
macros/widgets/tiddlers in the current TW?