Hello,

I've set up TiddlyWiki5 on Heroku (for how, see my post
at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/XDFW_tcSbf0) because
I'm interested in having an online notebook to jot ideas down, and this
fits the bill.

The main shortcoming for me is the large download size you get on page
load, which (1) makes it less fun to access through a mobile; and (2)
increases the "time to writing" by several seconds compared to opening up a
local text editor (which is long enough to end up preferring the local
tool).

A few things have come up on earlier threads or in conversations, which
might be helpful, so I'm posting to get some feedback on whether anyone has
been working on these or related areas and has any thoughts.

1) caching

I've seen that NGINX has been mentioned as a cache, so it seems like it
might be possible to tell the browser that the resource (the tw5 file) has
not changed, which would prevent it from re-downloading it. That seems like
it would be quicker as the page would load from the local cache.

2) app manifest

The browser's app manifest feature could possibly be used to cache the tw5
file locally, but it's not clear to prompt the browser to download a new
copy when the tiddlers update. However, if some JS requested tiddlers from
the server, it could sync the local version.

3) lazy loading

Rather than load all the tiddlers, load an empty tw and get the contents
afterwards. This would perhaps be a good setup for (2) or (1), but by
itself doesn't buy much time saving as the empty tw5 file would still need
to be downloaded each time.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Jonathan