I feel like you are approaching this from the wrong end and that you should
first start playing with the right fet reports and then see to it on how
you can best constrain to what you want to see only.

Personally I'd do it all with tagging but then I really don't know how you
can have a two-level fet where you start from one or more main categories
(counties) and then constrain the inner processing to specific
subcategories (car brands).

Some questions:

   1. The expense data are stored in data sections that always have the
   same name?
   2. "Car Brands" always tag to "Countries"?
   3. Would the ideal approach be to select a country and then a Brand
   (rather than the other way around?

I think it would be A LOT easier to write a little script with
InlineJavascriptPlugin or even plain transclusion scripts that...

   1. creates the select boxes automatically
   2. creates the subcategory upon selecting the main category
   3. outputs your desired values upon chosing a subcategory

Best wishes, Tobias.