Mario,
You are an expert, and you know what you are doing, so it is common for you
to want autosave ON. This just saves you an extra click.
However most (novice) users are fighting with widgets, filters, lists, etc.
and it takes trial and error until things work.
Breaking functionality is something I do very often until I get the desired
result. I don't "choose" to mess up with my wiki.
Having autosave ON means I loose the stable state that I started from. I
want to save when I am sure I got things right. And until that happens, I
need to go to edit mode and back many times. Meanwhile my wiki gets saved
every time.
However if autosave is OFF by default, you still cannot loose that much
because the wiki informs you about unsaved changes.
Again I think we need other users' opinion on this. And by users I mean
non-developer users :-)