Wow there is a lot here.
Nick if and when you read this you may want to start some of these
questions as individual topics here on the group as the hangouts may or may
not get to them.
Also it gives a wider range of people the chance to read and discuss as not
everyone makes it to the hangouts.

> In the Vanilla theme, tags with dark background colors also have black
> text, making them virtually unreadable. This is also true in the Snow White
> theme. Also, no evident way to change text color as a workaround.

I am not sure if this helps but under the Control Panel is an Appearance
TAB that allows you to change colors around.
There is also an editor for the color palette.
Here is a picture of what I am talking about.
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ysr0kZsMOts/VLVGjra7BLI/AAAAAAAADQE/LQBI1mM5YvE/s1600/NickSpiesQuestion.png>

> I think it is very important to have an obvious manner to traverse a
> tiddler in an easily predetermined order, even if this order is simply
> dating a special class of tag, which determine what is before and after
> current tiddler. Think of email, e.g.

The way I have been doing this is using 'New Here' when I do things
manually.
So Tiddler #1 is created.
I then hit 'New Here' and create Tiddler #2 which is now TAG'd [[Tiddler
#1]]
Once Finished I then hit 'New Here' on Tiddler #2 and now Tiddler #3 is
Tag'd [[Tiddler #2]]
The only issue with this method is that now Tiddler #1 and #3 have no
direct link even though they may need to be.
So I will also (sometimes) create a 'Subject' Tag that I use across all 3
Tiddlers so they are all linked by a common 'Subject' TAG and not a stitch
to a stitch to a stitch.

There should be an easy way to sort the tiddlers (if there is not already)
> and sort their tags into a desired order. By "easy" I mean that this basic
> functionality should be part of the GUI, as Find is now.

I think Tobias has this built into his TB5
<http://tb5.tiddlyspot.com/#GettingStarted> if you are discussing what I
think you are.
His site is really well laid out as he has the sections right up front and
when you click on them you can see all the TAGs easily.
I am not sure if there is an 'easy' way to make this part of the core like
'Search' and 'Advanced Search'.
TiddlyWiki allows you to create what you want rather 'easily' so it tries
not to build in too many 'features' that may or may not be used.
If you need a 'feature' then you can add it or make it.

Rich Shumaker