Tobias:

Thanks for suggesting fontAwesome.  I simply hadnt thought of it in this
context, perhaps because I've been pondering the use of Inkscape.  I
suspect fontAwesome will be better for "Quick & Dirty" solutions, but I
don't have enough experience with either to be able to make a judgement at
this time.

Cheers,
Hans