I know this may not be what you want, but if you don't want a tag to show up on
the tags tab under the more tab in the sidebar, you can start a tag with $:/

Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G TouchMat <matiasg...@gmail.com> wrote:This was
originally intended as a post for a github discussion on "Hidden tags" but I
figure it could be of general interest.

[...]
I think a lot of what has come up [in that github thread] reflects different
ways of using a TW: There are different applications - however, more
fundamentally, there are simply different ways of thinking. It is not strange
that we have different needs for TW considering the close connection between TW
and ones brain. I partly think of tags as an analogy to cognitive associations.
Sometimes associations function as transitional segways ("that reminds me of
X") but other times it is just a flash triggering into something. We can use
tags to categorize and elegantly structure tiddlers,. This takes logic and
thinking to do. But quite as often, tags are used in the much more ephemeral
activity; searching. Tagging is of course a key feature for effective search.
But the best tags for search efficiency are not at all necessarily those
carefully thought out and pretty "category tags" but instead actually whatever
pops into your mind! If I say "yellow" and you say "banana", then you just
demonstrated that this is a more natural association than e.g "colour". If I
want to trigger "banana" in your mind, then it could well be that "yellow" is a
more efficient word than the "logicially" much closer word "fruit". This aspect
is not human irrationality, it is part of our cognitive power and extremely
efficient for our thinking processes and IMO we should take advante of this in
TW.

Let me give you a concrete example of this:

Just an hour ago I came up with a brilliant idea (yes, they're all brilliant
;-) that we should have a "TW mockup notation" consisting of graphic images,
such as a generic "blank tiddler", a "blank button", a "blank tab", a "blank
tagpill" etc so that anyone easily can create nice mockups in TW to illustrate
ideas (primarily for the TW community, I guess). The idea is still very rough
and I've pretty much only made a quick tiddler to note down a few words so I
don't forget the idea when my brain whizzes off in other direction.

Where does this idea come from? Well, other than that I illustrate a lot of my
ideas to explain them, this is probably inspired by Astrids railroads and
Jeremys talk about different notations in TW. And quite possibly also by the
poster hullabaloo. These are associations I make, and it gives the concept a
context both in content and time.

Now, how should I tag this tiddler? Well, with some category tags for sure;
TWconcept, IdeaRank4, mockup. But I would really also want the much more
associative aspects: graphics, illustration, paint.net, railroad, Astrid,
draft, sketch, notation, model, Duarte, .... I fully understand that not
everyone can identify with this workflow, not to mention my associations. But
TiddlyWiki is for noting down things so this is not about trying to shoehorn TW
into something it isn't "supposed to be", at least not as far as I can tell.
[Wanting to] tag like this is really about making TW fit around your brain. If
TW doesn't allow for this... it probably should.

However [referring to the github thread] a consequence of this is a lot of tags
that you don't want to see immediately - for (exactly) the same reason that you
don't want your brain to flash around if you're actually focussing on a
subject. Tags (associations) call for attention. For this reason it is
desirable to be able to hide tags from view mode(!) on command.

I'm reminded of the early search engines (was it Altavista or even before? And
*alt.net* or whatever it was called?). They tried to *structure* the internet
into categories. This was bound to fail and within a few years this was totally
replaced by the ad hoc search we still have (even if much refined). Also the
early email-boxes with strictly hierarchical folder structures. Feels "logic"
and things are in order... but it turns out our minds don't quite work like
that. We cross-correlate things. In the case of email, I think it was google
that first came up with tags for making things less rigid.

<:-)