On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 11:32:57 PM UTC, Mat wrote:

> Tobias Beer wrote:
>

>>    - we need a tiddlyweb like store
>>
>> But that's not really federated, is it?

TiddlyWeb itself does not have federation built in and it is not a concept
built into the default API, but here are some thoughts which may be of use:

* There's a plugin[1] that implements a concept known as remotebag[2] which
probably fits in here somewhere.
* Federation is something happens as a result of an aggregation of servers
and clients that are aware of each others existence. That awareness is the
problem which needs to be solved/managed.
* A file:// based TW5 configured with awareness of multiple TiddlyWeb
servers[3] (or one TiddlyWeb server that holds knowledge of multiple
TiddlyWeb servers) could self-configure to talk to those multiple servers
and dynamically use content from them. It doesn't strictly have to be
file-based even.

I've experimented with this latter idea a little bit with only one
server[4]. I think TW5 would need some adjustments to cleanly do this with
multiple servers but I can't see any huge technical barriers to it
happening. Content is relatively easy, plugin loading less so.

I agree that once it becomes straightforward to take an existing TW5 and
make it talk to arbitrary places on the network some very interesting
things will be possible.

[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/tiddlywebplugins.remotebag
[2] http://cdent.tiddlyspace.com/remotebag
[3] That are CORS-enabled