I think that a dedicated mailing list would be good. A weekly list of
updates broken down by either update type or wiki/author would be very
useful for keeping up with what is going on since I think that people
mainly post to this group when there is a problem and not as much when they
make something interesting that may have a limited appeal. If an atom feed
would work in this context that may be easier to follow. I like atom feeds.

If you are going to start a more general directory listing in addition to
the search, it would probably need a way to submit wikis to be indexed as
either personal wikis which probably wouldn't be searchable, or reference
wikis which would be searchable. Or wikis that are demos of themes and
plugins where the wiki as a whole is useful but searching the tiddlers
isn't.

Sorry I feel like I am just spouting more and more features to add, without
offering anything in the way of assistance. If there is any non-scripting
work I can do to help don't hesitate to ask.