Hi Bob

> I would think it would be useful if there were *some* mechanism that
could mean interpret the next character exactly.

I agree. One option that's been discussed in the past is check for a
preceding ~ before every parse rule, and suppress it if it is found. I
think it may be more flexible to be able to suppress all wikitext
processing in a passage, without having to find and suppress each rule. For
example, ===this is //not// italicised===.

I've created a ticket for the latter idea:

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1473

Best wishes

Jeremy.

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 3:18 PM, Bob Robison <rwrobi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And I guess it is a fair assumption that there is no generic way to
> 'escape' any character that might otherwise be interpreted by the parser?
> i.e. I ran into a problem recently where I really needed to have two
> forward slashes next to each other in some text (//).  However I could
> never get it to render properly, as I assume it was trying to make
> something italics..
>
> I would think it would be useful if there were *some* mechanism that could
> mean interpret the next character exactly.
>
> bob
>
> --

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy.rus...@gmail.com