The $macrocall widget should do what you want. It is supposed to evaluate
inputs before passing them to a macro.

Alternately you can use set widgets and macros:

\define thisMacro()
> <<javascriptmacro $(macroinput)$>>
> \end
>
> <$set name=macroinput value=somevalue>
> <<thisMacro>>
> </$set>

This should evaluate pass the variable correctly.

I have a brief and probably not very clear explanation on my site
<http://inmysocks.tiddlyspot.com/#Concatenating%20Strings%20-%20What%20Breaks>
about concatenating strings, but the problem happen for the same reason and
are fixed in the same way.