I would say you should definitely go with TW5.

How much of the plugins are already adjusted to 5, and how quickly are
> others being adjusted?

Unfortunately it's a start from scratch also with the plugins as they are
incompatible. The number of plugins are still very limited (...and we
still/again suffer from the "dispersity problem" with popups popping up
without people knowing how to find them, but there is a "community plugin
aggregator" that does help). However, regarding the limited number of
plugins, TW5 itself is more powerful than TWC and it's easier to create
your own filters... ok, not easier than installing a plugin but easier to
set up than it is in TWC.

<:-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/83bab9c0-c8ca-4697-95be-426002ecb3de%40googlegroups.com.