Mario,
Clever idea, and it worked perfectly! I had 22 old TWC files scattered
around the place, and even though I suspected they had all the same stuff
in them, I wanted to make sure it was all brought into my main TW5.
So, I did the following, like you said:

   1. Backup
   2. Download empty TW5.1.8
   3. Sort old TWCs by file modification date
   4. Starting with the oldest, drag and drop each file into the TW5 and
   import the tiddlers. I saw your warning about only importing content
   tiddlers - it seems importing from TWC to TW5 only sees the content
   tiddlers anyway, so it was a quick job to scroll down each import page and
   check.
   5. I had 22 files to import in all, including a couple of old TW5s. I
   was more careful with those, because the import showed the system and
   shadow tiddlers, plus some old detritus from plugins.
   6. Now I have a nice new TW5.1.8 with all my old stuff!
   7. Profit!

Thanks for the idea,
Matthew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CAGFCNLzyynqq_%3DpweCtOPXhJhiDKXs8Kbr0uLRSWwipsfufdHg%40mail.gmail.com.