HI Andy,

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 4:27:20 PM UTC+2, Andy Arnold wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> I've spent 40+ years writing code and converting files & databases.  This
> problem should be easy, but it has me stumped.

Nice to see, that an old stager likes TW ;)

> The idea is to show 'CAPON VALLEY RAILROAD' in a common type face and a
> common fore/background color pair with the C V R in a larger font-size than
> the rest of the phrase.

In TW I'd use the following mechanism, which imo is much easier to read.

Define a CSS stylesheet tiddler eg: myStyleSheet   tag it $:/tags/Stylesheet

.zz em {
  display:inline-block;
  font-style: normal;
}

.zz em:first-letter{
  color: red;
  font-size: 130%;
}

Your text

@@.zz
* //CAPON// VALLEY //RAILROAD//
** CAPON //VALLEY// RAILROAD
@@

or

*.zz //CAPON// VALLEY //RAILROAD//

As you see. I'm "missusing" the italics format here. ... you could also use
eg: strikethrough, where the CSS would look like this

.zz strike{
  display:inline-block;
  text-decoration:none;
}

.zz strike:first-letter{
  color: red;
  font-size: 130%;
}

and the text:

@@.zz
* ~~CAPON~~ VALLEY ~~RAILROAD~~
@@

With this CSS you get a similar result to Erics suggestion

.xx{
  display:inline-block;
  font-style: normal;
}