I have made a couple of new tiddler "buttons", but hadn't thought to look
at the core functions for creating new tiddlers.  I have some questions on
this.

[[$(CurrentTiddlerTag)$]] is in double brackets, why?

Interesting idea to use the fields as the variable values, instead of
shadow tiddlers like the core New Journal.  It makes it easier to see what
the values actually are.

I understand most of the page, but I am still trying to understand why the
list widget is used to display the buttons??  I would like to use the
buttons from Font Awsome but they don't seem to be able to be used the same
way.

It looks like there is a missing </set>, there are three of those but four
<set name =>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/2365bd9b-c4c6-4d6b-93dc-f710697dbdfa%40googlegroups.com.