Some examples of usage:

   - you have a piece of text that is laborious to write, but that you have
   to use at several places. For example, in French we nee unbreakable spaces
   before ":", ";" or "?", but unbreakable space is laborious to write, so I
   can define a macro that replaces <<?>> by &nbsp;? (and I find the first
   more lisible than the second).
   - you have a sentence that is almost always the same, except some words,
   you can use a macro with a parameter. This parameter can be for example the
   value of a field of the current tiddler.
   - the replacement can be a lot more important. In the TW5.com interface,
   tabs and the table of content are wikitext macros! (and they are very worth
   learning how they work)
   - a macro can be used as a widget parameter value. It can be useful if
   this value needs itself a parameter, or if you need to concatene some
   pieces of text

An important thing to know about macro (and it is said in the Macro's
concept tiddler) is that the content of a macro is not wikified before its
rendering, when it is called.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0eabdcf5-4465-4b78-bba3-b2dfb562549b%40googlegroups.com.