Thank you, Jeremy and Tobias especially!  I have it working now!

The first time I read Tobias' solution and tried my own based on it, it didn't
work for me.  I don't know exactly what I was doing wrong (the text of that
attempt was lost by a browser crash), but every attempt to call the macro
seemed to produce just the text of the macro call, not its result.

Now I understand the solution:  write the macro so that any parameters which
can't be represented as hard-coded strings are instead accepted via variables.
Then use SetWidgets or a VarsWidget around the macro call, and set the
parameters with those.  Then the macro call can be used as an attribute to the
ButtonWidget.

This is the code of my working version:

```
\define add-she-said()
Hey $(add-she-said-text)$ - is what she said.
\end

<$set name="add-she-said-text" value="roll it">

----

<<add-she-said>>
</$set>

<$set name="add-she-said-text" value={{!!test}}>
<$button set=!!test setTo=<<add-she-said>>>Test button</$button>
</$set>

```

Tobias, you're right that the best solution may end up being something other
than a macro, but to keep the project going, I have a deep need to be able to
update certain data fields easily in great numbers of tiddlers.  An imperfect
solution now is tons better than a perfect solution in three months.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/ecb513be-c1f7-4e88-9533-0ca8e2d4665c%40googlegroups.com.