Ah, I see now.  (I think.)

I wasn't recognizing the value of $tags as a filter expression.  Viewed in
that light, the *+* makes a little more sense.

Though it does prep my brain to expect that any string passed in there
*without* the *+* would overwrite the existing tags entirely.  I.e., if
$tags="+[prefix[$:/]]
MyNew Tags" works like $field="tags" filter="[list[!!tags]] +[prefix[$:/]]
MyNew Tags", then why doesn't MyNew (without a *+*) clear the field and
reset its value to MyNew *only* (with Tags following up and doing the same,
leaving Tags the sole tag on the tiddler)?  I know it doesn't work this
way, but I'd expect all the individual tag values (if they're subfilters)
to require the *+*.

I probably just need to sit and contemplate your examples a while until it
sinks in.  Thanks again for breaking <$action-listops> down for me and
being so patient as I try to charge through it like a bull in a china shop.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/96dd22b4-1ea1-4fbc-8c7c-d247f0359908%40googlegroups.com.