Thanks for the suggestion, Tobias!

I believe I've managed to boil it to down the actual issue here:

http://tiddlywiki.secret-hq.com/testing/PassingFieldValueToListFilter.html

Nevermind the to-do-list applications.  The root problem is my inability to
have a macro check a tiddler field and pass the value from that field into
a filter.  I believe it's related to the order in which values are fetched
and wikified.  I've also included two alternate approaches in the test
case, so you can see what I've tried that hasn't borne fruit.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/8c96e2d8-184d-4555-b0c6-59c6c3a462c1%40googlegroups.com.