Ah, no, apologies for the confusion. Here's what I want, in more detailed
pseudocode (I'm probably using the wrong symbols):

set index=1
set increment_amount=1
set filter="[tag[this_tag]nsort[sort_order]]"

select list of tiddlers by <<filter>>
for each tiddler in list
    set field 'sort_order' to <<index>>
    increment <<index>> by <<increment_amount>>
next tiddler

One issue that I can think of is that because the filter is using the field
being changed, it may affect the list when it is changed.

-MJP

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/386d878b-e0b1-477e-bc52-3e0bfdfac2ed%40googlegroups.com.