Hi Mat,

I'm sort of torn on this issue. On the one hand, I want to support the
development efforts of other members of the community and I enjoy thinking
about technical/design issues too. I can fully understand why you would
want to do this.

On the other hand, I think there is probably a better path to pursue
towards these goals, but it's currently much (much, much?) more technically
abstract. I'm talking about ipfs, which has been recently mentioned by
Jeremy also.

I might be totally wrong about this, but my reason for thinking it is that
what you're attempting to do is fundamentally hard. Even if you get it to
work, I don't think it will ever be secure or scalable. I'm happy to
discuss why this might be wrong, though.

I think what ipfs gives us, amongst much else, is the notion of serverless
publishing because everything is essentially published out onto one big
filing system, distributed across the network. My conjecture is that this
basically solves the hard problems of federation.

It is also my belief that TW may prove to be a uniquely interesting tool in
the context of ipfs in general - it may well turn out that we are sitting
on a 'killer app' for a platform that is yet to be fully built.

I hope this doesn't sound negative. It may well be that you will learn
valuable lessons by trying to get 'twederation' to work over http or I
might be altogether wrong and it might be a roaring success, but I hope
you'll take the time to look at ipfs if you haven't already. In my opinion,
this technology or something similar will be the next evolution of the web.

Regards,
Richard

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/30c003d2-ae85-45a1-8ab1-eaac79bd9288%40googlegroups.com.