Well, I can see what the problem is, but I don't see what the solution is
other than putting a template (e.g. {{||L1Template}}) into each L1 object..
Hopefully one of the gurus will have the magic.

At the Level 1 level, the template works because the Level 2 objects have
actual content.

At the Root level, it doesn't work (well, it works, but doesn't do what you
wanted it to do) because there's nothing actually in the Level 1 objects.
You were hoping that it would bring in the rendered L1 objects, but instead
it's bringing in the *contents *of the L1 object(s) -- which are empty.

If there is a workaround that would allow you to bring in the rendered
contents of tiddler displayed via $:/tags/ViewTemplate it would be great to
learn about it.

Good luck!
Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/c750559a-cee6-44cb-82ae-27d30aab3dc9%40googlegroups.com.