Well one thing that seems to work is to use Vimperator to edit the field,
but that's kind of a hack and it doesn't really allow you to see the search
results as you type.  But I'll have to give that a try...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/da701e76-6576-48f3-a282-2bbf33e565d0%40googlegroups.com.