Actually, I got this to work properly by moving the desired content
*surrounding
*the *now* macro actually *into *the *now *macro.

So my *text=* section appears as follows:

text=<<now "* Line One
* Line Two
* Today is DDth, MMM YYYY
* Line Four

{{PageFooter}}
">> />

This gives me the desired content of:

* Line One
* Line Two
* Today is 14th, October 2016
* Line Four

{{PageFooter}}

where the date is generated immediately but the transclusion still works
properly.

Thanks for your suggestions while I worked this out.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/1cd024f3-d7ec-4a00-8ed0-65e12625d01c%40googlegroups.com.