You don't specify a field in your actionsetfield widget, but I'm guessing
that you're trying to change the tags?

My recipe is to use a macro for concatenation. Since using a macro with
parameter tends to break it I always put the intended concatenation items
into variables. Then the macro concatenates the list. Here's some code:

\define concat() [[$(ltr)$]] [[$(num)$]]
<$select field='letter'>
<option>A</option>
<option>B</option>
<option>C</option>
</$select>

<$select field='number'>
<option>1</option>
<option>2</option>
<option>3</option>
</$select>

<$vars ltr={{!!letter}} num={{!!number}}>
<$button>
Something
<$action-setfield $tiddler="Mixing variables examples" $field="tags"  $value
=<<concat>>/>
</$button>
</$vars>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5a2dbed3-699a-43b0-9aae-b733ee61d4b6%40googlegroups.com.