There have been some attempts at fixes for this but nothing that works
well. For my icon menus plugin I made I put in a button to get around this:

<$button>Set tiddler top position<$action-setfield
$tiddler='$:/themes/tiddlywiki/vanilla/metrics/storytop' $field=text
$value="""{{$:/plugins/inmysocks/iconmenus/icon_menu_settings!!top_bar_height}}"""/></$button>

It doesn't fix everything, but if you put the correct value in it will make
the spot that a tiddler opens be below the top bar most of the time. That
is how it works on http://inmysocks.tiddlyspot.com

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/b63a9b7f-7973-477d-93f8-43b5ccc0e496%40googlegroups.com.