I allow myself to publish my latest little insight below, since it is a topic which bothered me for quite some time. Maybe it will either help somebody, or it will turnout that others have found a much better solution.

1. The intention: I have a collcetion of images (png) which I want to
   use as tiddlericons (in the icon field). In order to do so, I want
   to have a $select - tool, which displays the icons as images.
2. My problem: The images are rather big (512 and bigger), but I want
   them displayed in the same size as the text
3. #Jermolene says here
   <http://tiddlywiki.com/#Images%20in%20WikiText>: /"You can also
   display an image stored in a tiddler by transcluding that tiddler.
   The disadvantage of this approach is that there is no direct way to
   control the size of the image."/
4. The solution, not so quick, but dirty://I include in the text of the
   select-option  a table with just 1 row and 1 field. In the field I
   have the tranclusion of the image. I set the style of the field to a
   width of 1em: and get a small image -  see below
5. Caveat: It seems, this works only in a standalone-TW, not under
   node.js or online; size must be >1.3em/
   /

Kind regards,

Pit.W

<$select field="icon">
<$list filter="[tag[$:/MyIcon]sort[title]]">
            <option value=<<currentTiddler>>>

                      *<td style="width:3em;">*

                                <$transclude/>

        </option>