Sometimes, I think the cathartic act of writing a query to the group
stimulates the solution!

This is the answer to my own question (I think):

   1. Create a tiddler called "$:/annotations/visible" with field "visible"
   and value "yes"
   2. Wrap the macro that displays the annotation in a list filter: <$list
   filter="[title[$:/annotations/visible]field:visible[yes]]">
   3. Change the value of the field to anything other than "yes" to hide
   the annotations.

//steve.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/e477fc06-8bbf-4b8f-9a5f-b6616454e4a7%40googlegroups.com.