I’m playing around with palettes and I noticed that the swatches remain
blank when the respective palette entry doesn’t contain a hex code but
another call of <<colour>>.

Since I am using a system adapted from the Solar Flare palette which works
with base colours, I use hex codes only for custom colour styles and
reference them with calls (like for example <<colour tz-base1-dark>>) for
all existing TW styles in the palette editor. I.e. none of the swatch
‘types’ have a hex code entry and all swatch fields are white which makes
the palette preview useless.

For reference, this is $:/snippets/currpalettepreview where the swatches
are defined. Can value={{##$colour$}} be changed to do what I want, i.e.
resolve the call of <<colour>>?

\define swatchStyle()
background-color: $(swatchColour)$;
\end
\define swatch(colour)
<$set name="swatchColour" value={{##$colour$}}>
</$set>
\end
<<swatch foreground>>
<<swatch background>>