Thanks Danielo, that is a big help. That is the level of hand-holding I
needed.

I feel bad now, though, because I DID get my standalones loaded on my own
site with the Bidix store.php, and since Saturday have been adding notes to
them. But I forgot to come here and let people know I figured it out. So
this thread is 'completed' for me.

It does concern me, though, the level of insecurity of the store.php
approach. So I will still eventually experiment more with Noteself. But to
be honest I do need the ability to link between files and permalink to
share with others.

Github's approach doesn't sound like it would allow me to edit with the
edittoolbar available, which I use extensively. So I probably am better off
not investigating that idea any further.

Thanks again for your helpful explanations!

Dave

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Danielo Rodríguez <rdani...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>
> Let's see if I can help you with this topic
>

> Noteself looks promising, I think, but is confusing to me:
>>

> Sad to hear that. Let's work on it
>

>> 1) it says I can save multiple TWs but since the url is always the same,
>> it is not clear how to move from one to the other,
>>

> Yes, you can have multiple TWs. Each wiki is stored on a separate database
> so they do not interfere each other.  Which wiki is stored on which
> database is configured through the control panel.
>

>> and whether saving a new one will also include there all the tiddlers
>> saved to date in the current one.
>>

> You have to manually switch fro one wiki to another and reload the page.
> Currently there is no way to communicate wikis.
>

>> 2) It looks like the only way to sync between devices is to already have
>> a couch database.
>>

> Yes. There is no web mechanism ATM to communicate a browser peer to peer.
>

>> I assume this means I need to do a whole learning curve re Couch
>> databases to create one. I wouldn't even know where to begin with that.
>>

> I promise that you don't need to. It's a very straightforward process. It
> takes less than two minutes. Take a look at this video:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc5lNND8dZE
>

>> 3) Since the noteself url is always the same, it isn't clear how I would
>> share a tiddler's permalink with others.
>>

> Currently it is not possible. I'm working on it.
>

>> But is there a plugin for setting up online use that I could use to edit
>> and save changes to them when out and about working from my ipad? Some way
>> to host it online but where if I have the username and password, I can edit
>> it? I recall Udo had something that worked like that for TW classic.
>>

> Github + gh-pages is a very good place to store wikis due to the nature of
> tiddlywiki. You can have a wiki stored on Github, where each tiddler is
> saved as a standalone file. You can then configure and an automatic process
> for rebuilding and updating your wiki on every file change. I have created
> a template for this. Take a look at this:
>
> https://github.com/danielo515/TW5-auto-publish2gh-pages
>
> There is a drawback to this approach: If you want to edit the tiddlers
> online you have to use GitHub's interface and edit tiddlers like they were
> plain text files. In some scenarios this may be overkill.
> I have also created an small web-app to fix this situation, but it is
> currently on BETA. It has a bug that prevents the creation of new tiddlers
> (I'm working on it) but it should allow you to edit existing ones and save
> them back to github. Take a look and let me know what do you think about it:
>
> https://octowiki.github.io/
>
> Hope this helps a bit.
> Regards!
>
> --
> msgid/tiddlywiki/bf3529ca-f01b-4dea-83ba-984a87747ae6%40googlegroups.com
> [...]

David Gifford
Christian Reformed World Missions, Mexico City

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CANE%3DBF%2BFE5FG85OKwFfCryEAbxQ1gDV-m-kL%3DZwSDPmhzegfug%40mail.gmail.com.