Since you're looking for the letter 'a' in field that always contains the
word 'latex' there's bound to be something off.

If I may suggest a simpler approach. Include a list field, say 'vars' that
lists the variables associated with an equation. For acceleration, we would
have

[[Inital Velocity]] [[Final Velocity]] Time

Then this simpler code would do what you want (hopefully):

{{!!equation}}

<$list filter="[list[!!vars]sort[title]]" >
<$transclude field="variablelatex"/>
</th><th><$link><$transclude field="title"/></$link></th><th><$transclude
field="unitlatex"/></th></tr>
</$list>

It worked on Acceleration. But you don't have the variable tiddlers for
Enthalpy defined so I couldn't test that.

Good luck!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/6e636ed5-2e2e-413f-b6bc-80eb4088b6cb%40googlegroups.com.