> Starting in late 2016, newly-published Chrome apps will only be available
> to users on Chrome OS. Existing Chrome apps will remain accessible on all
> platforms, and developers can continue to update them.

In the second half of 2017, the Chrome Web Store will no longer show Chrome
> apps on Windows, Mac, and Linux, but will continue to surface extensions
> and themes. In early 2018, users on these platforms will no longer be able
> to load Chrome apps.

So, apparently, early 2018 is the cut off date. The route recommended in
the announcement was NodeWebKit or Electron for developers who need desktop
apps; however, I think I am just going to focus on TiddlyServer from here
forward as that seems to have the most promise in many ways. Anyone can use
my electron app if they want (https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyWiki-Electron)
-- I still use it, though rarely. But I like the idea of TiddlyServer
because you can use whatever browser you want with whatever else you want
in it.

Here is the complete announcement:
https://blog.chromium.org/2016/08/from-chrome-apps-to-web.html

Hope that helps :)