I thought i had finally wrapped my head around the difference between $var$
and $(var)$, so i went to test it.
Below is my test, and I am at a complete loss for why buttontest1 renders
the markup instead of the button, and why buttontest2, when pressed,
creates a tiddler that is the exact markup of <<myStateTid>>.
While calling <<myStateTid>> by itself renders as expected.

Please, someone explain this to me.. perhaps using small words. :)

\define myStateTid() """$:/state/$(currentTiddler)$"""

\define buttontest1()
    <$button set="$(myStateTid)$" setTo="edit">Press1</$button>
\end

\define buttontest2()
    <$button set=<<myStateTid>> setTo="edit">Press2</$button>
\end

<<buttontest1>>
<<buttontest2>>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/045ac19a-8c0a-43b4-ab5b-70eb555c44a0%40googlegroups.com.